Application Criteria & How to Apply
2022 Recruitment Cycle
Guatemala Application : Closed
Cambodia Application: Closed
Liberia Application: Apply Now
SHE-CAN College Scholarship Program At-A-Glance
SHE-CAN seeks talented young women leaders from Cambodia and Liberia who have few opportunities but incredible potential and passion for change. Through access to a U.S. college education, mentorship and leadership training, we provide our scholars the tools and support needed to return and make change in their home countries.
Program Length: 5 years
Program Eligibility: Ambitious young women aged 17-20 from low-opportunity backgrounds who have achieved academic excellence and demonstrated leadership skills through activities or service in their community
- Test preparation classes for SAT/IELTS and support executing a community service leadership project
- Guidance to apply for and win a scholarship to a top U.S. university such as Lafayette College, Bucknell University, and Syracuse University
- Build relationship with 4-6 American mentors
- Completion of 4-year university education in the U.S.
- Participation in SHE-CAN-funded Leadership Summit in California
- Complete at least one summer internship
- Return home within one year of graduating
- Launch your career at home, make a difference in your community, and give back to SHE-CAN sisters
- All costs for tuition, room & board, and travel are covered by the university or SHE-CAN
“The past four years at the University of Minnesota have transformed me, and I’m more inspired than ever to return home and help the people of Cambodia prosper.”
Sreytom Tim, SHE-CAN Graduate, Cambodia
Application Criteria & How to Apply
Apply for SHE-CAN program if you are:
- A woman between the ages of 17-20
- Passionate about improving your country
- High school graduate or graduating high school by January 2021
- Living within 1 hour of capital city (e.g. Phnom Penh, Monrovia)
- From a low-opportunity household
- Interested in pursuing an undergraduate degree at a U.S. college or university (SHE-CAN does not work with students seeking graduate degrees)
- No more than two years university experience in home country
- Already a leader in your school or community
- A strong English speaker: Your ability to speak and write in English is critical because all U.S. universities require a high score on the TOEFL or IELTS language exam. Therefore, if your English is not strong, we recommend that you spend a year studying and apply next year.
- Academically strong: Consistently ranked high in your class with strong grades and a strong score on National Exam or WAEC/WASSCE
- Dedicated to this program: Able to dedicate your days in January 2022 – June 2022 to SHE-CAN’s pre-college program. Accepted scholars must not work full-time during this period
- Able to access a strong Internet connection and computer daily to check emails
What you’ll need to apply:
- High school transcripts for grades 10, 11, and 12
- National exam score report or WAEC score report
- English translations of transcripts or exam scores if necessary (can be self-translated)
- Estimate of family’s monthly income
- Optional: Score reports for the SAT, ACT, IELTS, TOEFL if you have taken them
- No application fee – free to apply!
Selection Process & Application Timeline:
2022 Recruitment Cycle
All Applications Open July 1st
|Application will be posted in July 2022
Deadline for Cambodia: October 2022
Deadline for Guatemala: August 2022
Deadline for Liberia: November 2022
|We will share more details on the interview process in the coming months.
|January – June
|IELTS & SAT preparation and community service project for semi-finalists
|Scholars officially accepted to SHE-CAN program and matched with mentors
|July – October
|Scholars & mentors complete college application requirements
|Scholars submit Early Decision applications to U.S. colleges
|College admittance decisions announced
|January – July
|Scholars complete travel requirements and prepare to come to the U.S.
|Scholars arrive in U.S. for first year of college
Financial Assistance from SHE-CAN
SHE-CAN aims to support low-income young women who would not otherwise have the opportunity to study in the U.S. and get the tools needed to return home and step into leadership roles in their countries. Funding for SHE-CAN scholars is provided by:
- College-Funded Scholarship: Every scholar applies for and is awarded a full-ride scholarship from a U.S. college, which pays for the cost of tuition, a place to live, and meals while in school.
- SHE-CAN: The organization funds test preparation classes and costs not covered by your scholarship that your family can’t afford, including passport and visa fees, flight (one to U.S. and one home), textbooks, health insurance, etc.
- Scholar & Family: Scholars fund travel to and from test preparation classes in your country’s capital city. When they arrive in the U.S., every scholar works on campus to fund her personal expenses (toothpaste, shampoo, etc.). While SHE-CAN funds health insurance for scholars, the organization is unable to fund medical expenses outside of what the insurance covers, including dental and vision expenses.
PRE-COLLEGE APPLICATION PREPARATION
If accepted as a candidate, you will be enrolled in SHE-CAN’s test preparation classes for the English language exam (IELTS or TOEFL) and academic entrance exam (ACT or SAT). While in classes, you will also be required to execute a community service leadership project called a Take the Lead project. If you perform well on the exams and complete a compelling Take the Lead project, you will be officially accepted as a SHE-CAN Scholar.
COLLEGE APPLICATION PROCESS
If you are accepted as a SHE-CAN scholar, you will work with your team of U.S. mentors to apply Early Decision to one
SHE-CAN Coalition School. Below is a list of partner schools.
- Babson College
- Beloit College
- Bucknell University
- Gettysburg College
- Lafayette College
- Lewis & Clark College
- Muhlenberg College
- Northwestern University
- Spelman College
- Syracuse University
- University of Minnesota
- University of Portland
- University of San Francisco
If you are not awarded a scholarship to your first-choice school, SHE-CAN will help you apply to other schools.
As a SHE-CAN scholar, you will be matched with a team of 4-6 U.S. mentors who help you apply for a U.S. college scholarship and prepare for your arrival. When you arrive for school, your mentors will greet you at the airport, host you in their homes, and provide guidance, emotional support and access to professional networks while you are in school.
TRAINING & INTERNSHIPS
While in the U.S., scholars receive training and support to build their leadership skills. You will work with your mentors to set short- and long-term goals, which you will revisit every semester. You will also be invited to attend our Leadership Summits in California where all scholars come together to learn important skills like self-advocacy, networking and project management.
SHE-CAN has extensive networks in the U.S. and scholars’ home countries. We will work with your mentors to identify summer internships for you, and we’ll advocate for you to secure an opportunity that aligns with your career goals. Graduates also receive in-country career support after graduation.
SHE-CAN scholars join a sisterhood of ambitious and talented young female leaders across the globe who are committed to improving the lives of women and girls. Graduates return to their home countries and join a growing cohort of female leaders who are dedicated to working together to pull up other women into leadership positions and make a positive impact in their communities.
SHE-CAN is committed to building female leadership in post-conflict countries. We believe that if more women take on leadership roles in Cambodia, Rwanda and Liberia, the countries will thrive. For this reason, all of our scholars pledge to return to their home countries within one year of graduating to start their careers. As part of your acceptance into the SHE-CAN program, you will be required to return home and stay to work for at least 3 years. SHE-CAN has established relationships with employers in graduates’ home countries who are eager to hire returning scholars.
DO I NEED TO SUBMIT IELTS OR TOEFL SCORES TO APPLY?
No. SHE-CAN will provide test preparation for the IELTS or TOEFL exam for accepted candidates and pay for their exam registration fees to take the exam. If you have already taken the IETLS or TOEFL exam before applying for SHE-CAN, please submit a copy of your score in your application.
WHO PROVIDES MY SCHOLARSHIP?
SHE-CAN does not provide scholarships. SHE-CAN does not award college scholarships, but we help our scholars apply for and win scholarships from U.S. colleges and universities. We have partnerships with many U.S. schools who have joined our
SHE-CAN Scholarship Coalition and award scholarships to our scholars each year.
WHO SHOULD I CONTACT IF I HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE APPLICATION?
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the scholar application.
WHY DO I NEED TO LIVE WITHIN ONE HOUR OF THE CAPITAL CITY?
SHE-CAN will provide you with SAT/ACT training, IELTS/TOEFL training, and other pre-college prep between February to June. To participate in these classes, you must be able to reach the capital city. In the past, we have had scholars stay with relatives that live closer to the capital city.